The Spring 2021 Grant Application is now closed!
We expect to notify applicants of any funding decisions in late March. Our next application, for Fall 2021, is planned for some time in September.
Feel free to watch our most recent webinar below, or review our FAQ for common questions about the application process.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Am I eligible to apply?
- You are eligible to apply if all of the below apply to you:
- You are a U.S. resident
- You are a cancer survivor between the ages of 21 and 39 at the time the application is submitted
- You are not a financial dependent
- You have not been funded through our main grant program three times. Applicants can only be funded through our main grant program three times.
- You were not funded during the Fall 2020 grant cycle. If you were funded during the Fall 2020 main grant cycle, we would ask you to wait until Fall 2021 to reapply.
- You received your most recent cancer diagnosis within the past five years. Exceptions apply for those who are either receiving disability, appealing a disability claim, or pending approval for disability. Documentation will be required.
- You meet ONE of the following criteria:
- a) finished with active treatment with no evidence of disease
- b)one year past planned therapy with stable disease, or
- c) In remission and on hormonal therapy (such as Tamoxifen) or in remission and on long-term targeted therapy (such as Gleevec or Herceptin)
- You are eligible to apply if all of the below apply to you:
- What is Expect Miracles Foundation looking for in a Samfund grant applicant?
- In addition to the eligibility requirements stated above, the best candidates for funding can make a clear and direct connection between their current financial difficulties and their experience with cancer. If you are not sure whether or not you would be a good candidate for funding, please email your specific questions to email@example.com and we would be happy to give you feedback about whether it is appropriate for you to apply. If you have limited internet access, you may call our office at (617) 938-3484.
- Good candidates for a grant:
- Can articulate how their cancer experience has impacted their current financial situation
- Have immediate financial needs
- Are not able to get financial assistance from any other source
- Are struggling financially as a result of their cancer treatment (e.g., lost wages, high medical bills, etc.) or its aftermath (e.g., limited ability to work, side effects from treatment, etc.)
- How do I apply?
- The application will be available on this page. Please sign up for our mailing list to be notified in advance of the application opening.
- The application will ask for the following information:
- Basic personal and contact information;
- Information about your cancer diagnosis and treatment;
- Your current financial picture including monthly income, monthly expenses, assets you may own, and liabilities/debts you owe;
- The completion of a Medical History Verification Form, signed by a licensed medical professional with whom you have a relationship (e.g., oncologist, primary care physician, nurse practitioner);
- Recent tax forms;
- If you didn’t submit taxes, we require a notarized affidavit and valid photo ID explaining why you have not paid taxes in 2019 or 2020.
- What if I have needs other than rent/mortgage?
- Right now, in order to be able to provide assistance as quickly as possible, we are restricting requests to this one category. If you don’t necessarily need help with rent, but you have other financial needs as a result of your cancer and the COVID-19 crisis, this assistance may offset those expenses. You will have space in the application to discuss the context of your request.
- Why is this only for young adults?
- Samfund grants have historically provided financial support to young adults trying to recover from the financial impacts of their cancer treatment. Young adults are an overlooked and underserved population that face a unique setof challenges as a result of their stage in life, with few other resources available to them. Many are too old to have parental support, and many are supporting young families of their own. They may lack seniority at their job, and whatever savings they have managed to accrue disappear quickly during treatment. The Samfund was created back in 2003 to help young adult survivors move forward with their personal, professional, and educational goals. Since joining forces with Expect Miracles Foundation in July 2019, the goals of our Samfund program remain the same.
- What if my monthly rent or mortgage is greater than $2,000?
- In order to provide assistance to as many individuals as possible, $2,000 is the maximum amount we are able to provide at this time.
- How many people are funded?
- In the past, roughly 50% of applicants have been funded. Please keep in mind that many people apply more than once before they are funded—so if at first you don’t succeed, please ask for feedback and try again!
- How can I support this program?
- Withso much need out there right now, we welcome any support you can give. The more funding we receive, the longer we can continue to provide emergency assistance to our community, and the more likely it is that we can expand funding to the broader YA survivor community. Please go HERE to donate, and thank you!
- Who can I call if I have more questions?
- If you have questions about the application process, the best way to get a quick response is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call our office at 617-938-3484.
- Where can I watch the recording of the Grants 101 webinar?
- A link is embedded above, but you can also review the presentation slides here.
Thank you and good luck!
We fully respect and uphold the privacy of each applicant. All information gathered through grant applications is kept secure and confidential.
If you would like to be notified about grant deadlines and about other grant and scholarship opportunities, please join our mailing list (on the righthand side of this page) and select “Grants info.” If you would like to be notified about Family Building grant deadlines or other opportunities, please join the “Family Building” mailing list on the right side of this page.
Please email us at email@example.com with any other questions!