Fall 2021 Family Building Grant Application is now open!
Expect Miracles Foundation is incredibly excited to announce the return of our dedicated Samfund Family Building application for young adult cancer survivors pursuing parenthood. These grants provide support for processes including IUI, IVF, surrogacy/gestational carrier, and adoption. Maximum grant amounts are $4,000. All candidates (in addition to meeting the eligibility criteria below) should have obtained at least some of the necessary resources to proceed with their designated process; Samfund grants are intended to help move survivors on to the next level of their process. Candidates should also have a sense of the timeline of their process, and ideally it should be taking place within the next year. Those who do not have any sense of timing, or who are planning their process out more than a year, will not be funded.
The link to the Fall 2021 Family Building application is HERE. Also posted here are the Medical History Form and Affidavit (if you did not file taxes) so please start with those early! Please also check out this “Grants 101 (Family Building): Fall 2021” Webinar below for more tips and tricks for submitting a strong application:
Please click below for or our Grants 101 (Family Building) Webinar, which provides more information about our process and application.
The Fall 2021 Main Grant Application is now closed.
We expect to notify applicants of any funding decisions in late September. Our next main grant application, for Spring 2022, is planned for early January.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- I tried to reset my password, but I still haven’t received a password reset email:
- Please email us at email@example.com for further assistance
- Am I eligible to apply?
- You are eligible to apply if all of the below apply to you:
- You are a U.S. resident
- You are a cancer survivor between the ages of 21 and 39 at the time the application is submitted
- You are not a financial dependent
- You have not been funded through our main grant program three times (COVID Emergency Fund grants do not count towards this total).
- You were not funded during the Spring 2021 grant cycle. If you were funded during the Spring 2021 main grant cycle, we would ask you to wait until Spring 2022 to reapply.
- You meet ONE of the following criteria:
- a) finished with active treatment with no evidence of disease
- b)one year past planned therapy with stable disease, or
- c) In remission and on hormonal therapy (such as Tamoxifen) or in remission and on long-term targeted therapy (such as Gleevec or Herceptin)
- You are eligible to apply if all of the below apply to you:
- What is the average grant size?
- Our average grant size for a family building grant is typically between $2,500-$4,000.
- What is Expect Miracles Foundation looking for in a Samfund grant applicant?
- In addition to the eligibility requirements stated above, the best candidates for funding for a family building grant have a clear sense of their timing and cost, and plans for how to fund the remainder of their process. If you are not sure whether or not you would be a good candidate for funding, please email your specific questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to give you feedback about whether it is appropriate for you to apply. If you have limited internet access, you may call our office at (617) 938-3484.
- How do I apply?
- The application will be available on this page. Please sign up for our mailing list to be notified in advance of the application opening.
- The application will ask for the following information:
- Basic personal and contact information;
- Information about your cancer diagnosis and treatment;
- Your current financial picture including monthly income, monthly expenses, assets you may own, and liabilities/debts you owe;
- The completion of a Medical History Verification Form, signed by a licensed medical professional with whom you have a relationship (e.g., oncologist, primary care physician, nurse practitioner). We cannot accept forms from previous grant cycles, as treatment statuses can change. Please be sure the form you are uploading pertains to this grant cycle, and says “Fall 2021 Family Building” at the top.
- Recent tax forms;
- If you didn’t submit taxes, we require a signed Affidavit explaining why you have not paid taxes in 2019 or 2020.
- Why is this only for young adults?
- Samfund grants have historically provided financial support to young adults trying to recover from the financial impacts of their cancer treatment. Young adults are an overlooked and underserved population that face a unique set of challenges as a result of their stage in life, with few other resources available to them. Many are too old to have parental support, and many are supporting young families of their own. They may lack seniority at their job, and whatever savings they have managed to accrue disappear quickly during treatment. The Samfund was created back in 2003 to help young adult survivors move forward with their personal, professional, and educational goals. Since joining forces with Expect Miracles Foundation in July 2019, the goals of our Samfund program remain the same.
- How many people are funded?
- In the past, roughly 50% of applicants have been funded. Please keep in mind that many people apply more than once before they are funded—so if at first you don’t succeed, please ask for feedback and try again!
- How can I support this program?
- With so much need out there right now, we welcome any support you can give. The more funding we receive, the longer we can continue to provide emergency assistance to our community, and the more likely it is that we can expand funding to the broader YA survivor community. Please go HERE to donate, and thank you!
- Who can I call if I have more questions?
- If you have questions about the application process, the best way to get a quick response is to email email@example.com. You may also call our office at 617-938-3484.
- Where can I watch the recording of the Grants 101 webinar?
- A link is embedded above, but you can check it out the presentation slides here.
Thank you and good luck!
We fully respect and uphold the privacy of each applicant. All information gathered through grant applications is kept secure and confidential.
If you would like to be notified about grant deadlines and about other grant and scholarship opportunities, please join our mailing list (on the righthand side of this page) and select “Grants info.” If you would like to be notified about Family Building grant deadlines or other opportunities, please join the “Family Building” mailing list on the right side of this page.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions!