The Samfund Fall 2019 Grant Application Information
Family Building Grant Application is now available until October 4!
The main Fall 2019 Samfund Grant application is closed at this time. All applicants will be notified by mid-October, and our next application will be available in January 2020.
Interested in applying for a Family Building grant? Please watch this Webinar to learn more about the application process and gain insight into submitting a strong application:
About our grants:
We proudly provide financial assistance to young adults as they regain momentum in their lives after cancer. Since 2005, we have awarded over $2 million to young adults across the country.
Am I eligible to apply?
You are eligible to apply if you are a U.S. resident, are a cancer survivor between the ages of 21 and 39 at the time when the application is submitted and meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Completed planned treatment with no evidence of disease, or
- One year following the completion of planned treatment with stable disease, or
- In remission and on long-term hormonal therapy (such as Tamoxifen for breast cancer survivors) or long-term targeted therapy (such as Gleevec or Herceptin)
If you meet these criteria at the time when the application is submitted, you are eligible to apply.
Should I apply for a Family Building grant?
Samfund Family Building grants are generally for survivors who have some financial stability and just need a little bit of funding in order to start or continue their option of choice. The maximum grant amount for a Family Building grant is $4,000.
Strong candidates have a good sense of their plan, their timeline, the total costs of their process/procedure, and know how they will fund the balance of their costs. Family Building grants are typically paid out within 4-5 months of funding, so if you’re unsure about the timeframe for your process you may want to contact email@example.com or wait until the next application in the spring.
What Do I Need to Apply?
The application will ask for the following information:
- Basic personal and contact information;
- Information about your cancer diagnosis and treatment;
- Your current financial picture including monthly income, monthly expenses, assets you may own, and liabilities/debts you owe;
- The completion of a Medical History Verification Form, signed by a licensed medical professional with whom you have a relationship (e.g., oncologist, primary care physician, nurse practitioner);
- Recent tax forms, or a notarized affidavit explaining why you have not paid taxes in 2017 or 2018; and
- For main grant cycle: A sense of what category of grant would be most helpful to you and the size of grant you would need. We also ask for information about who the payee of your grant would be (i.e. a hospital would be the payee if you are requesting assistance with medical bills; a practitioner would be the payee if you are requesting assistance with making payments for acupuncture), but it’s okay if this information changes or needs to be updated by the time a grant is awarded.
- For family building grant cycle: a good idea of your timeline, total cost, and plans for funding the remainder of your process. We will also ask for the name of the doctor, agency, clinic, or attorney to whom a payment should be made.
Categories of Funding (main grant cycle)
- Educational/Professional Development
- Continuing Education or Vocational Training
- Graduate Tuition
- Student Loans
- Health & Wellness
- Cosmetic or Reconstructive Procedures
- Egg, Embryo or Sperm Storage
- Gym/yoga memberships
- Health Insurance Supplementation
- Residual and Current Medical Expenses
- Independent Living
- Car/car insurance payments
- Rent/Mortgage Supplementation
- Other one-time purchases (gift cards, etc.)
- Educational/Professional Development
The Samfund does not fund business-related requests, credit card repayment requests, payments to friends or family members, weddings, vacations, or requests for help purchasing a car. (While applicants can request assistance with auto repair, auto insurance, or funding for public transportation, we do not provide grants for the purchase of vehicles.)
Please note that The Samfund no longer accepts requests for undergraduate tuition. We will, however, consider requests for graduate tuition, vocational training, continuing education and student loan repayment. Undergraduates may request help with other school-related expenses (i.e., computers, books and supplies) only if they are responsible for paying these and are not currently receiving help from their parents, schools or other sources. If you are looking for assistance with undergrad tuition, please view our Undergraduate Tuition Assistance resources.
Who can I call if I have more questions?
If you have questions about the application process, the best way to get a quick response is to email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call The Samfund office at 617-938-3484.
We fully respect and uphold the privacy of each applicant. All information gathered through grant applications is kept secure and confidential.
If you would like to be notified about grant deadlines and about other grant and scholarship opportunities, please join our mailing list (on the righthand side of this page) and select “Grants info.” If you would like to be notified about Family Building grant deadlines or other opportunities, please join the “Family Building” mailing list on the right side of this page.
For questions or more information, please email us at email@example.com.